A Teenager’s Struggle with Alcohol

408603883_6506695d1d_1

Bekka is a Bay Area-based high school student. I’ve been reading her blog for a few months. It’s clear she’s a talented writer and an even more talented photographer. Her posts blend a mature self-awareness with a rebellious artistic flair. Yesterday, out of the blue, she posted about her struggle with alcohol. Titled "Walking the fine line between self-control and self-abuse," it is an incredibly poignant entry which, when accompanied by the photograph she took of herself above, produces a stirring, somewhat saddening effect. Having lived through an alcohol-soaked high school social scene myself, I can attest to the fine line’s existence, and the unfortunate reality that too many kids are on the self-abuse end of the spectrum.

8 Responses to A Teenager’s Struggle with Alcohol

1. Pingback: Tyler's Toolbox

2. Thanks for this, Ben – it’s doubly worthy as it is from a female alcoholic, a perspective which I find sadly lacking. (In my experience, there is a special shame which goes with being a woman with an alcohol addiction, a stigma derived of feeling you are betraying your femininity.) There are issues that affect females with drinking problems which I hope Bekka will address as eloquently as she did her ‘coming out’.

3. erik says:

Thanks for the link to Bekka’s site Ben; I’m new to this whole blog thing, but I’ll definitely take a look, at her space. Thanks for your comments too Jackie – spot on…
    I am surrounded by recovering alcoholics (from teens to seniors) daily, and if Bekka choses to relinquish her “self-control” and get help, I know from first hand experience that she will have the capacity to live a happy and joyous (sober) creative life.

4. Tim Taylor says:

Thanks for sharing this Ben. It’s a great testament to the power of networking.

5. Bekka says:

Oh Ben, you’re excessive in your flattery. ;)

(Thanks for all the site traffic, btw, heh.)

6. fin says:

I love her photos.

7. cutiemom123 says:

It’s so sad. Thanks Ben for the link. I have read her article. She’s been struggling to fight against alcohol. Since high school, she is already engaged with alcohol. It’s good for her that she is trying fight it.
    ___________________

cutie_tech123
    This is a comprehensive addiction portal focusing on topics of alcohol and drug abuse. http://www.alcoholaddiction.org

8. jerryf says: