When you're on-the-go, finding a gym can be hard and going for a run outside is always fraught with the risk of getting lost.
So I now pack two good exercise tools in my suitcase that allow me to do a workout anywhere, anytime:
1. Jump rope – A jump rope is light, compact, and use-able anywhere. Because you stay in one place, you can simply take one step outside your hotel building and get after it.
2. Ripcords – I discovered these when their CEO, a blog reader, emailed and offered to send me a box. They're awesome. You can do many types of exercises with resistance bands.
1. Jumping jacks – Do 4 sets of 50
2. Body Weight Squats – Do 3 sets of 20 (shoulder width)
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqj1qjIA6E0 – Great video to watch for form)
3. Wall Sit – 2 sets of 1:30 each
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDjKeOCgisw – Good video to watch for form)
4. Calf Raises – 4 sets of 25 each
5. Push ups (shoulder width) – 3 sets of 20 each (Go slow and steady.)
6. Push ups (close grip) – 3 sets of 20 each (Go slow and steady. Again, own the exercise!)
7. Lying Torso Raise – 3 Sets of 15 each
Directions: Lie face down on the floor and place your hands loosely behind your head. Slowly raise your upper body until your chest is a few inches off the floor. You should feel your lower back muscles contracting as you rise up. Hold the top position for two-seconds then slowly return to the starting position and repeat.
8. Crunch – 3 sets of 15 each
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKg_cdwq9l4 – Good video on how to do them. Most importantly crunch your chin up towards the ceiling. Look up! And hold!)
9. Bicycles – 3 sets of 30 each (Every time you touch a knee it counts as one)
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPKXFarXbys – Very good video with great form!)
10. Plank (Hold for 2 minutes or as long as you can. 2 minutes is the goal though.)
(Perfect form – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ar2iRusnnc)