I just created a new category for future blog posts: Health & Fitness. In the coming months I will discuss the idea:
A strong mind starts with a strong body.
I firmly believe the entrepreneurial lifestyle must start with the living, breathing organism. As a Jamba Juice cup has said, "Your body is a temple. Respect it." Unfortunately, some people think the entrepreneurial lifestyle means disrespecting your body by depriving it of exercise, sleep, or proper nutrition.
I will argue that people who claim they are at their peak mental performance while not maintaining a healthy body are deluding themselves (and you). I’m assuming that the dualist "mind and consciousness is distinct from the biology of the body" argument is not credible with most readers, so I won’t address it in this series. I think: Our brain is a bunch of chemicals and subject to biology.
I’m not a personal trainer. I’m not a nutritionist. I’m not a sleep consultant. But I am someone who cares about each of those things and who has reaped the benefits of being physically fit in many ways.
This series of posts won’t target Iron Man or Marathon runners nor will be a dieting plan for the obese. It’s for people like me — casual enthusiasts who realize the importance of fitness. It also won’t be a attack against people who’d rather not worry about their body. As the former University of Chicago president Robert Hutchins once said, "When I feel the desire to exercise, I lie down until the feeling passes." To them I say, "Enjoy!"
Some of the topics I’d like to write about include:
- Basic nutrition — the foods and liquids that elevate you to peak performance
- The argument, "I don’t have time to exercise."
- Different kinds of exercise
- Physical fitness habits — how busy people make it a priority
- Exercises to do at the gym
- To gym or not to gym, that is the question
- Weightlifting — the joys of a beach without your shirt on (joking)
- Nutritional supplements
- Fitness when traveling
- The music of exercise — Is Kelly Clarkson as good as it gets?
- Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
Anything else you’d like to see?