Personal Letter of the Day

"We feel a particularly strong responsibility to admit students who are not only qualified but who are ready to continue the crucial business of educating themselves. You have been selected by our faculty and admissions counselors because you recognize the pleasure — the absolute joy — to be found in active, creative learning. Our decision was not based on numbers but on your achievements and your words, a difficult determination to make but one that gives proper honor to the University and to you."

A few lone institutions, worthy of the highest praise for their courage to ignore U.S. News and World Report, are able to evaluate the person, not the file. I couldn’t be more grateful.

8 Responses to Personal Letter of the Day

1. Zoli Erdos says:

Congrat’s:-) Which College is it?

2. Ben Casnocha says:

Ah, all will be revealed soon! It’s a good school.

3. Brad Feld says:

Awesome acceptance letter.

4. Kenny Sanders says:

Congratulations, Ben. What a fine institution to be admitted to.

5. Gabe Rosen says:

Congrats Ben! And imagine that – a college trying to admit a person and not a set of statistics. May it all continue.

6. Elena Butler says:

Congrats Ben!

7. Patricia says:

Okay, this is strange because I’m researching James Joyce’s personal letters for AP Lit and this was the third hit on Google. I started reading and about two sentences in, I thought, “This sounds a lot like my acceptance letter from the University of Chicago and not much like Joyce….”

So, I felt I had a moral obligation to congratulate you and relate my little story because I’m going to U Chicago too and I really love the school.

And what’s the US News And World Report thing? Did they shun Chicago or something? I don’t pay much attention to their college rankings, so forgive my ignorance.

8. Great article and subject! Thanks :D